Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Baruch atah Adonai

One of the songs in Paul Wilbur's upcoming album Desert Rain (to be released 12 October) captured my attention the very first moment I listened to it. I first came across Blessed is the Lord (which I initially thought was called Baruch Atah Adonai) when searching for the latest YouTube videos on Wilbur's ministry anywhere in the world - and that was late last year! Somebody who was there in the desert of En Gedi during the live recording must have put the video up on YouTube, along with several other songs. But this one song, written by Michael Neale (now I know), stood out to me and I instantly developed a deep liking for it. Some songs take a few rounds of listening before you develop a liking for them, whereas some you know they click with you instantly. This one certainly did.

Blessed is the Lord is written in a relatively slow tempo and has a rhythm and a tune that is rather easy to follow. Although back then there was hardly any lyrics or chords available on the web - it wasn't published yet, and you still can't find the chords or the sheet music at this time of writing (you soon will after 12 October) - it was such a compelling song that I felt I must figure out the chords, jot down the lyrics and start singing it in church. And that was what I did.

On Sunday, 24 January, our congregation at Calvary Chapel Cambridge sang this wonderful song for the first time - and I wondered till today whether we were the first ever congregation anywhere in the world to sing this song, apart of course from those where Wilbur might have led this song in worship. And we did it a few more times since then, including during a Messianic-themed evening with Jacob Prasch in late March, where I think the song must have been rather unfamiliar even to the ears of those who were keen listeners to Messianic praise and worship.

Wilbur specially sang it (albeit an abridged version) for viewers of Sid Roth's It's Supernatural programme last week. And you bet there are just people out there who are so quick to put it up on YouTube - I just found one.



But this is the one I first came across last December. The full song, live from the desert of En Gedi in Israel.